Monday, September 11, 2006

The sun sets on isolationism

I suppose that I may seem very, very self-absorbed to all of you today. I've been particularly sensitive to that idea since Mr. Boring Nice Guy here so kindly decided that I was self-centered, and you all know that I'm the biggest bleeding heart this side of the Canadian border, so of course some insensitive stranger's comment wounded me. How tedious, indeed.

But I DO know, recognize, and appreciate that it is September 11th.

And while I do somewhat agree with Bicyclemark and his remarks about the Big American Cliche -- I definitely did take some time today to think about New York and how the place and its people are healing. Any New Yorkers want to comment on this? Curlz? How about my other American readers? How has it affected those of you in Europe, England, and Australia?

My most profound feeling on the day is just how very surreal the idea of two commercial planes crashing into and bringing down some of the world's largest free-standing structures still is for me. It's astonishing, really, how much it still feels like a horrific disaster movie rather than something than actually happened in a real place where real people died. This may just be a function of the generation in which I was raised, although I do hate to generalize myself based on my age.

So what are your thoughts on this day, my readers?

I'd love to know, because I care.

Stay safe,

N

by Nome at 6:00 PM
8 mews

    Welcome. This is the humble chronicle of my life & my thoughts on the world as I see it. If you know me in real life and want to keep my trust, PLEASE ASK BEFORE READING! I'm not accountable to you or to anyone else for what I say in these pages. Comments are much appreciated, but but insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please respect privacy and anonymity - nicknames or pseudonyms only. This is my space to be an adult - kids should go elsewhere. Thanks, and enjoy.

    About The Nome
    A NOT VERY SUBTLE WISHLIST
    Nome is where the heart is
    I Will Not Be Silenced


Archives

Other Witty And Wonderful Creations



    referer referrer referers referrers http_referer

Misc.