Monday, March 19, 2007

fucking hell, or calling in sick on your second day of work

Yep, I knew I was getting sick on the weekend, and at my peril I pretty much ignored it.

My first day at my new job was actually fine, except that as the day wore on my voice got thinner and harder to hear, until by the end of the day it was finally gone completely. Now I can't even make a phone call. I'm pretty sure my vocal chords have been pulverized. I called in sick shortly after I left work, but I haven't heard back from the boss. Fuck.

I like my new school. The photocopier is older than I am, the curriculum materials are a bit spotty, and the building is a red brick heritage beauty that threatens to dissolve into fine rust-coloured dust in an earthquake, but...it's got character. My coworkers are funny. None of them are pompous 40-50 something year old men who take over the owner's office and start calling themselves "Dean." One of them is a dapper old gent from London, England, who chatted with me about architecture over sandwiches at lunch. Another is an exuberant young woman who spilled the details of her personal life to me with absolute heterosexual ease after I'd known her scarcely five minutes. And another is an endearing fellow with permanently attached headphones who sets off my gaydar like a five alarm fire. Lovely.

The students are all funny and polite, and the school atmosphere is stunningly relaxed. Our listening class this afternoon consisted of watching Mr. & Mrs. Smith and discussing high-class English idioms like "piss off," "I got lucky," and "hiya, stranger."

The first thing one of my students asked me in class was "Are you single?" Haha. I told him that was the great mystery, and then I did a little dance. No, really.

I'm still waffling about the cherry blossom photograph. I want to do it, but I don't know. Maybe it's overkill romantic for someone I don't even know is interested. Then again, what do I have to lose?

I must to bed.

Make a wish that I'd be able to voice some consonants in the morning,

N

p.s. That photo is entitled "Ass Cat."

by Nome at 9:48 PM
3 mews

    Welcome. This is the humble chronicle of my life & my thoughts on the world as I see it. If you know me in real life and want to keep my trust, PLEASE ASK BEFORE READING! I'm not accountable to you or to anyone else for what I say in these pages. Comments are much appreciated, but but insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please respect privacy and anonymity - nicknames or pseudonyms only. This is my space to be an adult - kids should go elsewhere. Thanks, and enjoy.

    About The Nome
    A NOT VERY SUBTLE WISHLIST
    Nome is where the heart is
    I Will Not Be Silenced


Archives

Other Witty And Wonderful Creations



    referer referrer referers referrers http_referer

Misc.