Tuesday, May 03, 2005

sigh....I am bored with myself

Lists help me avoid thinking.

It's a 'my cat's breath smells like cat food' kind of day.

1) WHAT IS THE GEEKIEST PART OF YOUR BOOK COLLECTION?
Pick anything, really. Perhaps the complete transcripts of psychological interviews taken at the Nuremberg war crimes trials. Or any of my books on China or Mao, or my ancient edition of Oliver Twist.

2) WHAT DID YOU DO ON VALENTINE'S DAY?
Got food poisoning and went to Lighthouse Park. Suffered through a dinner with relatives and then called the restaurant to complain. But many of you have heard that story already.

3) WHAT DID YOU GET ON VALENTINE'S DAY?
An orchid which just stopped flowering and may take 6 months to do so again. That's ironic when I look at what the next six months may have to offer me. Make your own damn metaphor.

4) WHAT IS YOUR SECRET GUARANTEED WEEPING MOVIE?
Moulin Rouge. Damn that Nicole Kidman. Damn that tuberculosis. Gets me every time. Plus she looks so fucking gorgeous when she's all red-lipped and pallid.

5) IF YOU COULD HAVE PLASTIC SURGERY, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE?
I could have plastic surgery. It's perfectly feasible and legal. I wouldn't, though. I pretty much enjoy what I've got. There are also healthier means to improve your appearance, like working out, and not putting cigarettes out on your face.

6) DO YOU HAVE A COMPLETELY IRRATIONAL FEAR?
Yes, I fear that people will actually go away and leave me alone.

7) WHAT IS THE LITTLE PHYSICAL HABIT THAT GIVES AWAY YOUR INSECURE MOMENTS?
I sweat....I mean, glow.

8) DO YOU KNOW ANYONE FAMOUS?
Define 'famous.' I know David Suzuki. Is he famous? I know Jane Coop. Is she famous? I know Kit Pearson. Is she famous? My mom won a book prize. Does that make her famous?

9) WHAT DO YOU CARRY WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES?
Keys, phone, money, ID in case I die, bus pass, my soul if I remember to pick it up off the floor before I leave the house.

10) WHAT DO YOU MISS ABOUT BEING A KID?
Getting cheap admission at the aquarium. I love the fishies.

11) WHAT WAS THE LAST SONG YOU WERE LISTENING TO?
An e-card jingle. Damn that's sad. Okay, Ashlee Simpson's "You Make me Wanna La La." Oh wait, that's even sadder.

12) HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN A PLAY?
Yep. A few months ago. All in all I have been in maybe half a dozen full-length plays in my lifetime.

13) HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN LOVE?
Yes. Once. Currently.

14) DO YOU LIKE YOURSELF AND BELIEVE IN YOURSELF?
Sure, why not. Some days I even believe I can fly.

15) DO TRANSIENT, HOMELESS, OR STARVING PEOPLE SOMETIMES ANNOY YOU?
Starving people, no. Being starved is not in itself annoying, it is tragic. Transient people annoy me if they try to con me, bug me for money repeatedly, steal from me, or hurt me in some way. Homeless people are usually harmless, but they do annoy me if they don't take no for an answer. They also scare me when I'm alone in the middle of the night. But that's not really their fault.

16) WHICH MUSICAL INSTRUMENT DO YOU WISH YOU COULD PLAY?
The drums. In a big way.

17) FAVORITE FABRIC?
Flannel.

18) WHAT'S ONE LANGUAGE YOU WANT TO LEARN?
Mandarin.

19) WHAT DO YOU ORDER AT A BAR?
A manhattan, if the place is nice. Rum and coke, if it's not so nice. A bottle of beer if it's borderline sleazy. But these are by no means hard and fast rules. Sometimes tequila hits the spot no matter where I am.

20) HAVE YOU EVER PIERCED YOUR BODY PARTS?
My ears. There are a few more places I'd like to pierce but I haven't the courage.

21) DO YOU HAVE TATTOOS?
No. But one of these days I'll get just drunk enough to get one.

22) DO YOU DRIVE A STICK?
In a manner of speaking.

23) FAVORITE TRAIT OF THE OPPOSITE SEX
What's a word meaning "not an asshole?" In all honesty, a cute ass helps.

24) MOST FRIVOLOUS PURCHASE?
Ever? Whew, that's a tough one. I make SO many! How about arm socks with Happy Bunny on them.

25) WHAT ARE YOU BEST AT COOKING?
Carrot cake. But that's really baking. I think I make a mean risotto.

26) WOULD YOU EVER GO OUT DRESSSED LIKE THE OPPOSITE SEX?
An awesome question. I haven't thought about it much. I'd make a funny-looking man. But I'd probably go out with someone dressed like the opposite sex. I think that would be a fun time.

27) WHAT'S ONE CAR YOU WILL NEVER BUY.
Um...any car? I'll probably have to get one eventually, but it won't be an SUV cause I scarcely think I'd use it properly and they're real gas-guzzlers. I think Hummers are also ridiculous.

28) WHAT KIND OF BOOKS DO YOU LIKE TO READ?
I read a lot of non-fiction, but I've been pretty bored with that lately. I like novels which describe places and situations utterly detached from my own, like tales from China, or Ethiopia, or Paris in the 1920s.

29) IF YOU WON THE LOTTERY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Buy a sweet-ass apartment, try my luck at acting, get a lot of cats, travel all over the place, and drink some really nice champagne.

30) DO YOU CRY IN FRONT OF YOUR FRIENDS?
Only when absolutely necessary.

31) WHAT'S ONE THING YOU LIKE TO DO ALONE?
Aside from the obvious, I like to read, blog, read blogs, ride the bus (best when done alone), wander around in the middle of the night, listen to music really loud and sing along, and stretch.

32) ARE YOU A GIVER OR A TAKER?
I have to be both, otherwise I would feel really guilty for not giving, or repressed for not taking.

33) WHEN'S THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
Two days ago. Life has a tendency to suck.

34) HOW MANY DRINKS BEFORE YOU'RE TIPSY/SLEEPY?
A single beer on an empty stomach will do it. So will half a glass of champagne. But usually it's about 2-3 drinks for tipsyness and 4-5 for intoxication, depending on the time period. 7-8 and I'm violently ill.

Oh, credit to JaG, as always.

-N

by Nome at 6:21 PM
3 mews

    Welcome. This is the humble chronicle of my life & my thoughts on the world as I see it. If you know me in real life and want to keep my trust, PLEASE ASK BEFORE READING! I'm not accountable to you or to anyone else for what I say in these pages. Comments are much appreciated, but but insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please respect privacy and anonymity - nicknames or pseudonyms only. This is my space to be an adult - kids should go elsewhere. Thanks, and enjoy.

    About The Nome
    A NOT VERY SUBTLE WISHLIST
    Nome is where the heart is
    I Will Not Be Silenced


Archives

Other Witty And Wonderful Creations



    referer referrer referers referrers http_referer

Misc.