Thursday, June 16, 2005

meet-up and new favourite show

So...the meet-up went okay. Okay as in I don't think I made a total ass of myself. The people were all pretty nice, but most of them were geeks, and I mean that as a technical term, not as an insult. They were people who are actually capable of conducting a 15 minute conversation about PHP. I know that when I'm listening to a conversation of which I understand only words like 'the,' 'a,' 'but,' 'and,' 'or,' 'when,' and 'if,' I'm either really drunk, or the subject is computer programming.

And seeing as I was drinking water tonight, I'm going to go with the latter.

For a few minutes I was pretty convinced PHP was a hallucinogen I hadn't tried, but then I remembered something the Boy had said about hacking and was like "oh....."

I felt pretty dumb. I would have much preferred to talk about why Beck's new album is so great, or why Jane Yolen's Wizard Hall can't hold a candle to Harry Potter, or why Tarantino is such a fucking genius, or something along those lines. I did get in a couple of good discussions about Europe, but generally I felt like a fish out of water. There weren't a lot of people there who were exactly in my demographic, either. Ah well. No one can accuse me of not being brave and testing the waters.

Many people there tonight asked me what this blog was about, and I've got to say I didn't have a satisfactory answer to give them. What would you guys say if you had to describe this page to someone who'd never read it in a couple of sentences?

I have a new favourite TV show. It is called The L-Word and it is fucking awesome. It's like some brilliant individual woke up one morning and went "What if every beautiful woman in the world was a lesbian? That would make great television." And then they scored the lovely and talented Mia Kirshner of Exotica fame to star in it, and all they had to do to get me hooked on it was put some over-the-top music on the soundtrack and overuse the soap opera lighting. In case it wasn't abundantly clear that Mia is ridiculously attractive, there are more photos here, here, here, and here. I'm particularly blown away by the shot of her in the white dress with scissors. And it takes a lot to blow me away these days.

Let it be noted before you trash my penchant for bad TV that I mainly enjoy this show for the titillation factor. And I enjoy it because bad TV is often good in a kind of semi-ironic kind of way.

I fully admit that women are beautiful creatures. Especially when they look like this.

Ahem. Yes.

Time to download some important educational programming.

-N

p.s. I've gotten really slangy lately, and I like making up words. If you have a problem with this, there are many sites on the internet that will cater to people who can't use apostrophes and don't understand the difference between the words 'there,' their,' and 'they're.' Visit some of those sites. Then come back to mine and thank your -- not 'you're' -- lucky stars that all I do is make up words.

p.p.s. I am now the proud owner of a Zen Touch 40 gig player. Watch me spend the rest of my night reading my Mexican friend, Manual.

Really would like some weed right now. Sadly, I have to work at 9:30 tomorrow.

Curses!

by Nome at 11:09 PM
7 mews

    Welcome. This is the humble chronicle of my life & my thoughts on the world as I see it. If you know me in real life and want to keep my trust, PLEASE ASK BEFORE READING! I'm not accountable to you or to anyone else for what I say in these pages. Comments are much appreciated, but but insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please respect privacy and anonymity - nicknames or pseudonyms only. This is my space to be an adult - kids should go elsewhere. Thanks, and enjoy.

    About The Nome
    A NOT VERY SUBTLE WISHLIST
    Nome is where the heart is
    I Will Not Be Silenced


Archives

Other Witty And Wonderful Creations



    referer referrer referers referrers http_referer

Misc.