Wednesday, July 27, 2005

sorry...

I haven't meant to be so absent lately. I just haven't been writing my blog or reading anyone else's blogs. I have been working, chilling, reading, listening to loads of music, and meeting lots of new people.

In the best of ways, I have been living my life instead of writing about it.

NO EXPECTATIONS, but this time your crazy heroine has met a guy. Let's call him Jordan. He has a motorcycle. Nome has never been on a motorcycle before. Nome's mother would MURDER her if she knew her daughter spent the entire day as an organ donor on the back of a beat-up 30-year-old BMW driven by a guy she's never met in her entire life. But it was wonderful. I never thought I would enjoy it, but I did. It was entirely unlike being in a car, or on a bicycle. The feeling of the air rushing past is incredible. Today was one of the hottest days of the summer, and I felt like the luckiest girl on the planet to have that feeling of coolness in the middle of a scorching sunny day. That and driving without a windshield is one of the most sensual experiences I have ever had. You can smell the flowers on the trees, and the wind in your hair, and you can feel the turns and see the ocean glittering without the filters of bus or car windows. It was pretty sublime, actually. It was certainly much more pleasant than I thought it could be.

So, kids, these are the kinds of crazy things I've been doing lately.

I like this guy. He is actually really mellow, and NOT a biker type. He's super-smart and sensitive, sweet, considerate, funny, and lovely. He's a great conversationalist, but also a great listener. And though it's not that important, he is really cute, with sandy blond hair and incredibly bright blue eyes. He read my story and loved it, and he is a brilliant photographer and he's travelled all over the world. But NO EXPECTATIONS! I'm not even going to gush, because this could turn out to be absolutely nothing.

In other news, I have a WHOLE WEEK off work! Cashier Robot Barbie is dead, or at least on vacation. I'm going to Seattle tomorrow to see a Mariners' game and go to the art museum. Sweet! Then D.'s wedding is on Saturday, then Pride on Sunday, then a PAID stat (GO BC Day!) then back to work for a day, then two more days off! Go team!

In other news, I am loving Buck 65 right now. He played at the Folk Fest and I talked to him after his show and he gave me his email address (albeit so I could send him a photo of a kid with his album cover art painted on his face). His new album is a sublime combination of hip-hoppy bits, turntable mixing (where it's AT! I got two turntables and a microphone....), beautiful samples, and even his gorgeous dark-haired Parisian girlfriend Claire singing in parts. His lyrics are simply brilliant, so edgy, so evocative, so full of imagery, and yet so bloody witty at times that they actually caused me to get on the wrong bus to work the other morning. I was so absorbed by a metaphor about white horses that I actually took the #16 instead of the #17 and got hell from Tara for showing up a whole 4.5 fucking minutes late.

Here's just a few small examples of his cleverness:

Lost in a haze of fantasy and folklore
The woman I love don't want me no more
Inebriated, alleviated of pain and speaking wild
Full grown man reduced to a weakling child
Hard of hearing, short-tempered and long viewing
Completely disappeared and
cleared of all wrong-doing
Challenging the calendars and tempting the clocks
Tree knocked over, inside an empty box
I don't live anywhere
Black Angel, carry me down...
-The Suffering Machine

The next song he described as his attempt to combine love and sex in a single breath. He sings it with Claire and it is impossible to describe how their voices blend together - you just have to hear it:

Ma foi, my force, ma voix, my vows
Gypsy Madonna, all your beauty's
in your eyebrows
Don't touch them, je fais le dernier pari,
silently
Finally, I feel all the furies of love violently
Flowers in the rain, wild fires in the orchard
Singing in the pain, I begin to feel tortured
Sugar and chaos, everyone else is boring
Let's make dirty babies until the morning
Love sick how much deeper still can this get?
Show me where it hurts and let me kiss it...
-Drawing Curtains

I. Heart. Buck. 65.

End of story.

By the way, I couldn't find those lyrics on the internet. Perhaps he is a "cult favourite." But you can buy his new album, Secret House Against the World, in Canada or the USA. and presumably anywhere else Amazon cares to ship to.

Rich Terfry (aka Buck) is actually from back East and Jordan knows him personally. I think that's pretty neat.

Gotta get packing for tomorrow.

I'll try to write again soon.

Adios.

-N

by Nome at 11:57 PM
8 mews

    Welcome. This is the humble chronicle of my life & my thoughts on the world as I see it. If you know me in real life and want to keep my trust, PLEASE ASK BEFORE READING! I'm not accountable to you or to anyone else for what I say in these pages. Comments are much appreciated, but but insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please respect privacy and anonymity - nicknames or pseudonyms only. This is my space to be an adult - kids should go elsewhere. Thanks, and enjoy.

    About The Nome
    A NOT VERY SUBTLE WISHLIST
    Nome is where the heart is
    I Will Not Be Silenced


Archives

Other Witty And Wonderful Creations



    referer referrer referers referrers http_referer

Misc.