Sunday, March 20, 2005

exceedingly brief, or was supposed to be

An exceedingly brief, point form entry because I have a 20-page paper to write.

-the play suffered a few disasters yesterday. Namely:

a) the girl in the scene about diamond mines in Sierra Leone totally lost it in the middle of her scene. She got through the first two paragraphs, forgot her lines, and simply walked off-stage. The lighting girl was so confused that she left the house lights on for many awkward seconds before finally turning them off, to the perplexment of the audience.

b) from that point on, there was no applause between scenes. Nothing, not a whisper. Not until the final curtain call and even that was pretty subdued. This threw us all off. A lot.

c) Right before the insane series of scenes where I am in three pieces in a row, with three different costume changes, we realised we couldn't find one of the other girls who was in the next scene with me. The volunteers and a few other cast members went running up and down the hall outside the venue, looking in all the bathrooms and searching the costume room, with no success. At the very last minute I told one of the volunteers to convey to the directors (who were also the MCs) to switch the order and introduce the AIDS monologue first. This meant I had to reverse my costume changes, which sucked because I had no time and was literally ripping clothes off as I was putting them on and was still buttoning my lab coat when the introduction was finished. Somehow I pulled it together and the monologue went really well. But no applause. That really threw me after such a difficult scene.

d) We finally found the girl from the first scene (she had been seaching for a changing room, quite possibly the lamest excuse I've ever heard, but I didn't scold her because I'm not in charge and I know she's usually pretty responsible), and we finally went through it. In the middle of the scene, I heard my cue, and drew a blank. I wanted to say the next line that was mine, but I knew that would throw everyone off, so I let a few seconds slide by and then the guy in front of me (the gay guy who loves his eyeliner) saved me by skipping ahead to his next line. He was my best friend for the rest of the evening (plus he did my eyeliner for me, so I loved him already). I actually really wish I'd gotten to know him better. He has the same name and many similar personality traits as a dear friend of mine, and he's a damn talented actor, much much more accomplished than I am.

e) During the intermission, we got a pep talk of sorts from the directors, which made me feel really bad. I had to explain how rattled I was by the screw up in the scene order, but it made me look generally irresponsible. I regret missing that line a lot.

Other than that, the run went pretty well. I am a bit relieved, but mostly sad, that the play is over. My chance of getting another role feels pretty slim at the moment. I have to get some more headshots done, which are super-expensive and irritating, and I'll have to somehow compensate for my recent lack of experience, probably by taking some more overpriced, time-consuming courses which will teach me a lot of things I already know.

I have to set up a meeting with a successful actor friend of mine and ask him for advice.

That said, I'm really, really glad I got the chance to participate in the Firefly Project. It was so much more than acting. I only wish we'd had the time and resources to ensure that more people came to see it. Ah well, I guess you have to start small.

I am covered in huge, ugly bruises today from climbing the 12-foot wall yesterday morning. I felt horribly huge being on a team of tiny Asian girls (and one tiny white girl), and regretted the fact that they had to help me over the wall when I was so much heavier than they were. Ugh. To add insult to injury, I have to do it again tomorrow, when it hurts to walk, run, and lift or bend my arms. I have two bruises on my leg and arm that are about six inches high and three inches wide. When my dad saw the one on my leg he said: "Christly fuck! Why in the hell do you have to undergo such torture just to graduate? That's just gruesome!" I laughed for about ten minutes. I may post some gruesome photos on here, because I'm like that. Displaying gruesome wounds and scars is one of the greatest thrills in the world.

When I walked into rehearsal last night I asked one of the impromptu "makeup artists" if she could cover something up for me. Then I rolled up my sleeve and showed her the bruise. Everyone crowded around yelling "holy shit! and "that must have hurt!" and "how the hell did you do that?" It was great. I admit it, I am an attention hog. Some people don't like to be fussed over. With a few notable exceptions, I am not one of those people.

Neither is Charlie, the pink cat of doom. Now he would like to be fussed over, so I must attend to him. And to my essay. SHIT!

Adios.

-N

by Nome at 4:46 PM
1 mews

    Welcome. This is the humble chronicle of my life & my thoughts on the world as I see it. If you know me in real life and want to keep my trust, PLEASE ASK BEFORE READING! I'm not accountable to you or to anyone else for what I say in these pages. Comments are much appreciated, but but insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please respect privacy and anonymity - nicknames or pseudonyms only. This is my space to be an adult - kids should go elsewhere. Thanks, and enjoy.

    About The Nome
    A NOT VERY SUBTLE WISHLIST
    Nome is where the heart is
    I Will Not Be Silenced


Archives

Other Witty And Wonderful Creations



    referer referrer referers referrers http_referer

Misc.