Monday, March 14, 2005

paper airplanes

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Sadly, I am terminally unpopular and have no friends. By that I mean, I can't think of a single person who would be willing to abandon work/school at 10:00 in the morning to come and babysit me at an audition because I have an irrational fear of being raped and killed. The best I can do is maybe get one of my friends to call me at 10:05 to make sure that I'm alive and that it's not an uncomfortable situation. If it is, I can pretend the call is an emergency and hightail it out of there.

I've also been somewhat comforted by the email the director sent me this morning, along with the pieces I'm supposed to read at the audition. He's funny, and a bit dorky, so I figure he's probably reasonably trustworthy. That, and his writing is brilliant: delightfully uncanny, witty, and unusual. And I get to use the word 'fuck' a lot. That's always the sign of a good writer. HA!

Anyway, this is what his email said. You decide if he sounds like a rapist:

"Hey ______(me), Here are the sides again, I put them in two different formats so hopefull(y) one of them will work.
If not, give me a call and I can probably fold them up into some sort of paper airplane and sail them off to your home.
So on Tuesday at 10:00 go to ____________(his address) and push #____(his code) on the buzzer pad, then go to floor _ apt. __
...maybe there'll be coffee, I don't know.
Tea?

Anyways, let me know if you get the sides alright and thank you for your interest. If you have any other sorts of questions about the play, you can ask those too.

Ok, have a good day,

_____(his first name).

P.s. Neither these sides or the characters in them are in this play."

I liked the comment about the paper airplanes. That's something that the very innocuous gay-but-doesn't-realise-it guy in my English class says all the time about the attendance sheets.

I will send him an email and ask him tactfully why he's holding auditions in his home. It's probably just a lack of space in another venue. Theatre space is damn expensive. He also lives in a nice, busy, well-populated part of town. NOT a shifty neighbourhood or a little hold-in-the-wall apartment. I'm pretty sure he lives in these new housing developments I used to walk through when I was a kid walking home from school.

Okay, thanks guys. I am a bit more reassured.

I've really overbooked my week:
Monday: class, Firefly rehearsal, attempt to find something to wear for tryouts, research for latest essay, get costumes together, stunting.
Tuesday: audition, class, reading for various neglected classes, class, Firefly dress rehearsal, evening class, sleep?
Wednesday: frantically work on essay, class, ticket selling for Firefly, tryouts.
Thursday: more frantic work on essay, class, meet with T.A., freak out about Firefly.
Friday: class, panic, panic, panic, play set-up, FIREFLY NIGHT 1!

Gah! I also agreed to have lunch with P.R. (who is finally on speaking terms with me again after some negotiation and apologies via MSN messenger) sometime this week. I'm hoping he'll give me a pep talk of some sort before the play.

I watched the Godfather, Part 1, all the way through for the first time last night. It was pretty brilliant, especially for the era in which it was made, but I have to confess I didn't quite get all the gang connections and in-fighting. Spoilers ahead for those of you who haven't seen it!! (it fucking bugs me when people say stuff about a movie I haven't seen, so I give you fair warning!)

For the longest time I was convinced that the guy who killed Paulie was actually working for the other gang. And what happened with Connie when Carlo was beating on her? How come we never find out? I was confused. If there was one thing Sonny was good for, it was protecting his sister from her jackass excuse for a husband.

Anyway, good movie, and I have to see parts 2 and 3 at some point as well.

But for the meantime, I must get to school.

Cheers,

N

by Nome at 11:29 AM
0 mews

    Welcome. This is the humble chronicle of my life & my thoughts on the world as I see it. If you know me in real life and want to keep my trust, PLEASE ASK BEFORE READING! I'm not accountable to you or to anyone else for what I say in these pages. Comments are much appreciated, but but insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please respect privacy and anonymity - nicknames or pseudonyms only. This is my space to be an adult - kids should go elsewhere. Thanks, and enjoy.

    About The Nome
    A NOT VERY SUBTLE WISHLIST
    Nome is where the heart is
    I Will Not Be Silenced


Archives

Other Witty And Wonderful Creations



    referer referrer referers referrers http_referer

Misc.