Friday, July 07, 2006

Because Charlie the Queer Chef has a special place in my heart

...and also because I need to write it down before I completely forget it, I present to you:

Nome's What-the-hell-am-I-going-to-have-for-lunch Surprisingly Excellent Summer Salad

Ingredients:
-half a red pepper, diced.
-handful of baby spinach, washed but otherwise unmolested.
-handful of lettuce, preferably romaine hearts cause they're great.
-cucumber, about half, depending on the size of your cucumber. Since we really don't need to go there, let's just say about 10-15 thin slices.
-two eggs, hard-boiled, and chopped. Hard-boiled being the cooking process, NOT the writing technique. All you Hemingway wannabees can go back to university, and while you're at it sit down and watch Brick, because that's how it's done. FYI: boiling an egg takes about 6-7 minutes, depending on the hot and sexy level of your stove. I used a gas stove, and it fucking rocks. But if you're stuck with electric, better give it another few minutes. I'm not being condescending here, guys, I only learned to boil an egg properly this April while I was in Portugal. Yeah, don't ask.

Dressing:
-1 teaspoon vinegar, I used raspberry balsamic but you definitely don't have to be that Nigella Lawson about it. But you should work it like Nigella if you want to be one of the hottest chefs alive. She clearly puts Christine Cushing to shame, no competition.
-1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Again, I used some fancy pants sundried tomato and pesto stuff that was sitting in the fridge, but regular olive oil is just fine and dandy.
-dash of soy sauce. Take it or leave it. I'm an Asian sauce junkie, so I take it.
-half a jalapeno pepper, finely chopped. If you've ruined your stomach by eating poisoned flower petals (this means you!), than you'd better skip this step.
-salt and pepper to taste.

Um Um Um How to Make It:
1) Chop stuff up.
2) Boil eggs, while chatting to your brother on the phone and grooving to Po'Girl on the stereo.
3) Make dressing, and dodge the cat's dish in its most inconvenient spot on the kitchen floor.
4) Drain eggs, run under cold water, and peel.
5) Put it all in a bowl, apply dressing, and toss (in the sink if you're clumsy and using a bowl that's too small like I ALWAYS do)
6) Eat while being kind of underwhelmed by the latest chapter of Peter Carey's Theft, which I want to love but simply can't. It's well-written, but his characters are too arrogant and bitter and I simply can't relate to them. I will finish it, but I'm not thrilled.

So, there it is. And for those of you who care about such things, the above recipe is actually rather low in fat and calories and offers several servings of vegetables and is really rather good for you.

You MUST all tell me if you make this salad and enjoy it. This means you, Charlie!

Okay, I'm going to get on the bus now, pick up some milk, go home, and drag my brother out of the house since it is 5:10 in the afternoon!

Adios,

N

by Nome at 4:53 PM
4 mews

    Welcome. This is the humble chronicle of my life & my thoughts on the world as I see it. If you know me in real life and want to keep my trust, PLEASE ASK BEFORE READING! I'm not accountable to you or to anyone else for what I say in these pages. Comments are much appreciated, but but insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please respect privacy and anonymity - nicknames or pseudonyms only. This is my space to be an adult - kids should go elsewhere. Thanks, and enjoy.

    About The Nome
    A NOT VERY SUBTLE WISHLIST
    Nome is where the heart is
    I Will Not Be Silenced


Archives

Other Witty And Wonderful Creations



    referer referrer referers referrers http_referer

Misc.