Tuesday, August 08, 2006

My interests include music and morons

To your left is pretty much what queer girls look like in my town. But....this isn't a girl. This is an 18-year-old boy from Malaysia who saw fit to send me the following message, with the subject heading "wau."

The message read: "wau...ur breast like a virgin!!"

I swallowed my considerable amusement and replied: "I don't even know what that means." His response: "no...erhmm...thats ur pic?? i means your breast?? wau...so hot add me plz.." Oh yeah, buddy, I'll get right on that, because you're so my type. Oh god, sometimes I hate the internet.

And no, I haven't been posting pictures of my breasts on the internet. That was all in his girly little mind.

Then I got into a giant marathon of a discussion with a gentleman who manages a lot of rather huge Vancouver bands. I didn't exactly realise how famous he was before I called the music on his label "generic and boring," but for some reason he seemed to like my venom and we ended up chatting until 4:00 am. He knows the keyboard player from The No No Spots and all the girls from The Organ. The man has gossip like you wouldn't believe. Talking to him was pretty intelligent, actually, although his opening was a very predictable "hey you're hot," and he seemed very worried about the fact that he's old enough to be my father. Oh please. As if I would go there. Not even if he planned to introduce me to Tegan & Sara, and those girls are a full bottle of adorable.

Anyone want an STD? Go here.

The dashing and talented Ridley tagged me for his most excellent music game, so here goes.

The rules are as follows: Post your top ten artists, the first song you heard by them, the one that made you fall in love with them, and your current favorite.

My list isn't really in preferential order, because those kinds of decisions are just too difficult. Also, please keep in mind that I'm a fickle creature when it comes to my bands du jour, so none of this is really very permanent. Finally, I listen to albums and not to single tracks, because I'm old-fashioned and I believe in preserving the integrity of albums as best I can, so singles don't really move me in the same way that entire albums do. That disclaimer aside, here goes:

1) PJ Harvey
First song: The Life And Death Of Mr. Badmouth
Made me fall in love: Rid of Me
Current favourite: The Sky Lit Up

2) The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
First song: Gold Lion
Made me fall in love: Dudley
Current favourite: Rich

3) The Arctic Monkeys:
First song: A Certain Romance
Made me fall in love: Dancing Shoes
Current favourite: Cigarette Smoke (mainly because of that line about "snortin some coke off her thighs." So seedy and so great).

4) Tegan & Sara:
First song: And Darling (This Thing that Breaks my Heart)
Made me fall in love: Proud
Current favourite: Monday Monday Monday (this song is pretty much ridiculously descriptive of my life)

5) Rilo Kiley:
First song: A Better Son / Daughter
Made me fall in love: Spectacular Views (I even remember the exact moment where I fell in love with this song. It was on a dark street in Madrid, coming back from the Retiro park. I really love that line "it's so fucking beautiful." Such passion...)
Current favourite: Portions for Foxes (the lyrics about bad news are just too perfect for words. It's scary how much it sounds like Hayley drama. You'd better believe I've been singing it at the top of my lungs all week)

6) Bob Dylan:
First song: Lay Lady Lay
Made me fall in love: It Ain't Me Babe
Current favourite: Blowin' in the Wind

7) Joan Jett:
First song: I Love Rock & Roll
Made me fall in love: Bad Reputation
Current favourite: I Hate Myself for Loving You

8) Buck 65:
First song: Wicked & Weird
Made me fall in love: The Floor (this is such a sweet and sad song about how his father beat him and his mother when he was a child. It's incredibly subtle and brilliant. He says so much with a single piano key).
Current favourite: Blue Jays & Roses

9) Neil Young:
First song: Sugar Mountain (which he wrote when I was 19 -- that pretty makes me feel like a total creative failure. Haha)
Made me fall in love: Heart of Gold (of course!)
Current favourite: Cinnamon Girl

10) Feist:
First song: Inside & Out
Made me fall in love: Gatekeeper
Current favourite: Let it Die

Well, that was fun. I dunno how many people I'm supposed to tag, but for now I will tag Fence, Ron, Anne, The Cynical Queer, Elmada, and Forgotten Machine.

Oh, and that photo is the shot I took of the same cave in Lagos, Portugal. The other one was Dag's genius.

I haven't called The Girl yet. But I will.

Laters,

N

by Nome at 1:26 PM
3 mews

    Welcome. This is the humble chronicle of my life & my thoughts on the world as I see it. If you know me in real life and want to keep my trust, PLEASE ASK BEFORE READING! I'm not accountable to you or to anyone else for what I say in these pages. Comments are much appreciated, but but insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please respect privacy and anonymity - nicknames or pseudonyms only. This is my space to be an adult - kids should go elsewhere. Thanks, and enjoy.

    About The Nome
    A NOT VERY SUBTLE WISHLIST
    Nome is where the heart is
    I Will Not Be Silenced


Archives

Other Witty And Wonderful Creations



    referer referrer referers referrers http_referer

Misc.